Senior Research Associate
Title: Senior Research Associate
- Employer: EdPlus at Arizona State University (Action Lab)
- Location: United States
- Position Type: Other Academic
- Deadline: Mar 22, 2017
- Job Description:
Senior Research Associate
Arizona State University
EdPlus at ASU DTL Aciton Lab
Requisition ID# 30559BR
Salary Range: Depends on Experience
Close Date: 22 March 2017
The Action Lab at EdPlus at ASU seeks research scientists to join our team studying digital teaching and learning. Research associates perform a number of tasks relating to our learning analytics and efficacy research, including collaborative work on team projects and establishing, overseeing, and conducting individual research projects. Researchers with backgrounds in econometrics, cognitive science, learning analytics, learning science, education technology, psychology, and PhD (strongly preferred) or equivalent training and experience are particularly encouraged to apply.
Action Lab research comprises three overlapping tracks: efficacy and effectiveness in ASU's degree-granting online education program, alternative design and delivery models (including large-scale open online courses), and emerging technology and innovation (e.g., adaptive learning). Research Associates will likely specialize in one of these areas, flexibly contributing to other tracks as needed. Publication is expected, either in collaboration or individually. Action Lab research is primarily focused on digital teaching and learning data from ASU learners and students, including both retrospective/data mining and experimental methods.
In addition to research responsibilities, Research Associates will have other responsibilities relevant to the skills and experience they bring to the Action Lab team. Examples include serving as liaison to the instructional design team (for those with instructional design experience), collaboration with the data team (for those with experience in API or programming), and senior research staff. Successful candidate must have a demonstrated track record of working collaboratively among instructional, data and inter-institutional work teams.
We are currently seeking a qualitative/mixed-method researcher to join the alternative delivery and design team to work with instructional designers and others on ASU's Global Freshman Academy and ASU Online programs. Desired qualifications include instructional design experience, research experience blending surveys and other qualitative methods with quantitative methods and results, strong communication and interpersonal skills, high motivation, self-direction, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
EdPlus is a leader in online learning and global education. Our mission is to reimagine teaching and learning and deliver education at scale and speed to everyone, everywhere, EdPlus at ASU.
• Researches impact analysis and action.
• Guides and coordinates the development of data for special management, policy studies and/or research activities.
• Analyzes developments in the industry; remains current regarding significant developments and/or new initiatives.
• Designs, manages, coordinates and conducts research activities and statistical studies.
• Leads and/or participates on project teams in special studies resulting in recommending solutions or alternatives.
• Trains staff in the use of departmental data processing tools.
• Creates, maintains and approves databases utilizing various computer programming languages or user-oriented software, such as R, MATLAB, Stata, and Python. Utilize micro-computer programs, such as Excel, Access, Microsoft Word, and PowerPoint.
• Utilizes statistical methods to analyze management problems and/or policy implications; performs evaluations and/or assists evaluators in the development of measurement tools.
• Performs and/or supervises independent studies, internet and library searches on relevant subjects.
• Develops, implements, and coordinates efforts to develop large proposals to the federal government.
• Develops a rapport and credibility with appropriate parties to best facilitate engaging them in substantive research partnerships within the industry.
• Understands and promotes the research capabilities and interests of the Institute in terms of industry needs and national priorities.
• Establishes a resource network in the community, the nation, and the international arena to identify and cultivate partners.
• Makes final recommendations to management, publidprivate sector representatives and external constituencies.
• Assists university departments by providing information for operational and strategic plans, or accreditation reviews.
• Establishes and maintains office-based technology systems to aid in the effective administration of projects and activities.
• Develops and delivers presentations, writes articles and technical reports. Collaborates to publish in leading scientific journals and to present at relevant scientific conferences.
• Supervises, monitors or coordinates the activities of subordinates.
• Assumes or coordinates other duties or projects as assigned or directed.
Master’s degree in a related field AND three (3) years of experience in research, information analysis or program evaluation; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
• Evidence of a PhD (strongly preferred) or equivalent training and experience
• Experience in:
o Qualitative, mixed-methods, or quantitative research in social and behavioral sciences
o Scientific writing and reporting
o Data analysis and experience with statistical software relevant to methods specializations (R, Stata, SPSS, MATLAB, etc.)
o Data analysis, interpretation and remediation strategy and execution
• Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills
• Experience in relationship building
• Demonstrated knowledge of current literature in learning theory, education, digital teaching and learning
• Experience in computer programming: data analysis, data visualization, and data acquisition desired (MATLAB, Python, or similar)
• Experience with one or more Leaming Management Systems (LMS; EdX, Blackboard, etc.)
• Experience in retrospective data analysis (e.g., regression-based models of archival data)
• Experience in experimental design and analysis focused course design and student learning behavior
• Experience in learning analytics
• Experience in instructional design
• Experience in classroom teaching at the K-6, 7-12, or university level
Our offices are located in ASU SkySong, a dynamic center for innovation – home to both start-ups and Fortune 500 companies.
• Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting or standing.
• Use office equipment including a desktop or laptop computer.
• Communicate to perform essential duties.
• Receive regular review of completed tasks.
Receive regular review of completed tasks.
EdPlus at ASU works to accelerate the acceptance and adoption of digital teaching and learning at ASU, in America and the world.
Help us change the world of higher education by becoming part of our innovative, enthusiastic and disciplined team. Our culture is one where everybody contributes, because we feel a sense of urgency each day; where everyone strives for excellence, because we seek to delight our stakeholders; where everybody takes risks, because we are challenged by our ambitions to be bold; and where we achieve milestones and are closers.
If you wish to work in an environment where you will be valued for the skills you bring to projects and be challenged to stretch your current capabilities and apply them in new ways, then consider becoming part of EdPlus at ASU.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation’s fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume and cover letter should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
EdPlus at ASU employment requires current eligibility to legally work in the United States
To apply please go to ASU Jobs click “External Applicant” under Staff job opportunities, see Req Id# 30559BR or go directly here