Senior Research Fellow
Title: Senior Research Fellow
- Employer: Macquarie University (Centre for the Health Economy)
- Location: Australia
- Position Type: Other Academic
- Deadline: Jul 14, 2017
- Job Description:
Senior Research Fellow
Collaborative research position working between Macquarie University’s Centre for the Health Economy and Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre
The Macquarie University Centre for the Health Economy (MUCHE), in collaboration with the Health Market Quality program of the Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre, is looking to appoint a Senior Researcher for 3 years fixed term to conduct collaborative research that will impact the way healthcare is delivered in Australia.
We are looking for candidates that have a strong background in economics or a closely related quantitative field, with proven strengths in data science and experience in evaluating health care datasets.
The Centre for the Health Economy
Macquarie University Centre for the Health Economy (MUCHE) is a research centre established within the Faculty of Business and Economics as a strategic initiative to undertake innovative research on health, ageing and human services. Its vision is to create a world where decision makers are empowered with applied, trusted and influential research into health and human services policy and systems.
MUCHE undertakes research funded by competitive academic grants, and research funded by government and non-government organisations. It has five strategic research areas, and undertakes research across system wide functions, such as competition, workforce, funding models, and performance frameworks within health and human services sectors.
MUCHE works collaboratively across the University, including the Faculty of Business and Economics, Faculty of Human Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, and the University’s world renowned health research centres, including the Australian Institute of Health Innovation (AIHI) and the Centre for Emotional Health. Its collaborative approach also extends to world leading universities in the US, Europe and Asia, and to government and non-government partners that are committed to funding independent research on the health economy.
For more information please visit our website - http://www.mq.edu.au/research/research-centres-groups-and-facilities/prosperous-economies/centres/centre-for-the-health-economy
Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre (CMCRC)
The Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre (www.cmcrc.com), is one of the world's leading independent research and development centres that specialises in the application of advanced data sciences to finance and health markets across four continents.
CMCRC partners with many leading universities and major corporate and government organisations, with the objective of translating research findings into tangible business benefits. CMCRC also has a very successful track record in commercialising spin-off businesses.
The Health Market Quality (HMQ) R&D program of the CMCRC representing a collaboration between 10 universities and 9 private and public health organisations that touch 60 per cent of Australia’s annual $160 billion health spend. It currently has a cohort of 30+ PhD students and postdoctoral researchers. During 2016, this program won two significant awards, including the Excellence in Innovation award from the CRC Association, and the Data Innovation in Health & Medical Research Award from Research Australia.
We are seeking a talented Senior Research Fellow to conduct and participate in collaborative research on the Health Economy that will impact public debate on healthcare delivery in Australia. This includes research for the purposes of informing policy, publishing in leading academic journals, translational research, and research funded by government, business and not-for-profit organisations.
The Successful Candidate will:
• Undertake, manage and report on collaborative research projects within the Centre for the Health Economy and Health Market Quality Program of CMCRC, across a number of faculties, disciplines, enterprises.
• Independently develop a stream of research that produces high quality journal articles acceptable to A and A* journals.
• Independently seek competitive grant funding and participate in collaborative grant opportunities with Macquarie University research partners.
• Independently seek funding from government and non-government organisations by developing relationships, promoting research ideas, and writing research proposals.
• Continually seek to develop skills, experience, and research impact, with the objective of becoming a leading expert in a specific field of research.
• Contribute to branding activities including academic conferences, Thought Leadership events, print and social media.
• Keep abreast of developments in the health economy in Australia and internationally to help continuously refine research strategy over time.
To be considered for this position, applicants must address the ‘Selection Criteria below in a separate document and upload when applying.
Essential Selection Criteria:
• PhD in economics, econometrics or closely related quantitative field.
• Experience managing and analysing large complex datasets.
• Outstanding academic record with a strong list of published work in top journals.
• Ability to independently attract research funding.
• Ability to work independently with high level organisational skills.
• Ability to work within collaborative teams towards mutual goals.
• Ability to engage actively with health industry stakeholders to identify challenging research questions regarding efficiency and quality of healthcare service delivery.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Additional Selection Criteria:
• Experience working with government and non-government organisations.
The position will report to the Director of MUCHE, although the successful candidate will be expected to work autonomously, generating original research ideas and independently seeking research funding.
Salary Package: Ranging from Level B - $99,879 to $118,174 or Level C - $121,953 to $140,246 p.a. plus 17% employer’s superannuation and annual leave loading. Salary and level will be subject to qualifications and experience.
Appointment Type: Full-time, fixed-term for a period of 3 years (position will have time split between MUCHE and CMCRC).
Specific Role Enquiries: Ashley Soytemiz, Centre Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are to be done via the Macquarie University website