Senior Economist or FSS Senior Analyst (2017-18 PhD Job Market)
Title: Senior Economist or FSS Senior Analyst (2017-18 PhD Job Market)
- Employer: Bank of Canada (Economic Departments)
- Location: Canada
- Position Type: Other Non-Academic
- Deadline: Mar 30, 2018
- Job Description:
Applications will continue to be accepted until all positions are filled. We will conduct interviews at the conferences of the Financial Management Association (FMA) (October 11-14 2017), Canadian Economics Employment Exchange (CEEE) (December 8 – 9, 2017) and the Allied Social Science Association (AEA/AFA) (January 5-7, 2018). If you wish to be considered for an interview at one of these conferences, you must apply at least one month before the conference, when review of applications will begin.
Your future responsibilities
You will support the economic and financial welfare of Canadians and contribute to the Bank’s work at an international level. You will take part in leading-edge analysis, which supports the Bank in its functional areas, and collaborate with your colleagues within the Bank and at other organizations in Canada and abroad. Subject to the needs and interests of the Bank and the employee, senior economists or senior analysts may move to other Bank departments to pursue research of relevance in new or needed areas. More specifically, you will be expected to
• participate in the conduct of monetary policy, help promote the safety and efficiency of our financial and payment systems, assist in managing the government’s public debt programs and foreign exchange reserves, and support the design, issuance and distribution of Canada’s bank notes
• develop leading-edge research ideas and produce high-quality research papers related to the broad responsibilities of the Bank’s functional areas
• conduct policy analysis and brief senior management on matters related to the responsibilities of the functional areas
• collaborate with colleagues within the Bank and from other organizations to develop research ideas, as well as produce and disseminate research
• build relationships with external parties, e.g., government and international agencies, other central banks, financial market participants and organizations, and outside academics, to share knowledge, research and analysis
Your education and experience
• education: a recent (completed after 1 January 2010) or forthcoming (completed in 2018) PhD in economics or finance
Your knowledge and skills
We will evaluate your application against the key requirements listed below and your education, which must be demonstrated in your cover letter, curriculum vitae, three letters of recommendation, and research paper(s) or job market paper.
If you are selected for an interview, you may be evaluated through two interviews, a written assessment and a presentation of your job market paper.
• research skills: the ability to undertake in-depth and high quality research projects that are publishable in top-tier, peer-reviewed academic journals
• fields of expertise: through research in one or more of the following relevant areas of research, depending on specific needs of the Bank’s functional areas
? macroeconomics and monetary economics
? banking and payment systems
? digital economy
? international economics
? global commodity markets
? financial economics
? financial markets and institutions
? labour and demographic economics
? mathematical and quantitative methods
? industrial organization
? law and economics
• writing skills: the ability to produce effective written documents in a style and form likely to appeal to and influence the intended audience
• oral communication and presentation skills: the ability to make effective, well-structured presentations adapted to the intended audience, inside or outside the Bank, and the ability to communicate effectively with others by demonstrating active listening skills and conveying information clearly
• teamwork and collaboration: the ability to work independently and collaboratively
• innovation: the ability to create new insights, devise novel approaches and make innovative decisions through research
• analytical and technical skills: strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to analyze complex economic and financial information using empirical and/or modelling skills
In exceptional circumstances, an equivalent combination of a PhD and research experience in an area of current particular relevance or interest to the Bank not listed above may be considered.
The Bank offers a competitive total compensation package that is reviewed annually. The starting base salaries are based on qualifications and range annually between Can$100,117 and Can$133,489.
You may be eligible for a hiring bonus payable as a lump sum payment at time of hire and up to three annual additional payments to a total maximum of up to 30% of your base salary.
Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (7 to 10% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (15% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
The Bank of Canada is committed to employee growth and career development and supports employees in reaching their full potential within their roles. As part of the career path in this position, it is possible to progress to a role with an expanded scope at a higher job grade, and a corresponding salary increase, if specific criteria are met.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
• Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental, disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
• Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
• Indexed, defined-benefit pension plan
As one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, we offer you a superior work environment that allows you to reach your full potential both professionally and personally. We make career growth and professional development a priority. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environments that support a diverse workforce. If you require accommodation measures during any aspect of the recruitment process, we will work with you to address your needs. Information related to accommodation measures will be treated as confidential.
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
• Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
• Must be eligible for reliability status or secret clearance
• English or French essential
• Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
• Contact information: email@example.com
To apply, click on the link below or visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers. Requests for additional information and the letters of recommendation should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letters of recommendation should be sent by your referees.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
To apply, log into Econ Job Market here.