Information For Recruiters
Recruiters are economics departments, business schools, government agencies, private firms, and other organizations that are searching for suitably qualified academic economists. All legitimate organizations are welcome to use the EconJobMarket.org system. Recruiters register here.
Properly validated recruiters are allowed to post job advertisements at EconJobMarket.org. These recruiters then have access to the EJM's database to view and download the files of candidates who have applied in response to their individual advertisements.
EJM's hallmark features:
1. Wide distribution of job postings through EJM's partner sites.
All organizations that post job advertisements on EJM can select to have their ads automatically posted on the web sites of some of EJM's partner organizations, including the Econometric Society, the Canadian Economics Association, VoxEU, European Economic Association, and Econ Job Market Asia.
2. Numerous "backend" (application processing system) options.
EJM's sophisticated "back-end interface" (https://backend.econjobmarket.org/) allows recruiters to automatically and securely transfer application materials from EJM to separate application-processing and evaluation systems. EJM currently offers seamless data transfer to the following application-review systems:
Additional commercial partners are in the works. Another option is EJM's own application-review component:
Recruiters interested in using their own in-house application-review systems (or other third-party systems) can freely access their data using EJM's back-end interface. If your organization already has a web-based or computerized system for analyzing and processing applicant information, have your organization's technical representative examine the documentation at https://backend.econjobmarket.org/ or contact EJM Director Mike Peters (Professor at the University of British Columbia), who developed and manages the back-end interface. If your organization does not have such a system and you want to explore the option of using one, we recommend the back-end systems shown above.
3. Automated interview scheduling.
EJM offers a free on-line interview-scheduling system called AIMS (application and interview management system, at my.econjobmarket.org). With AIMS, you can create a matrix of interview slots at professional meetings or elsewhere. You then select the candidates that you would like to interview in each category of slots. AIMS takes it from there, automatically emailing the candidates and helping them select among available slots. AIMS also allows for easy rescheduling of interviews. By posting your job-market advertisement on EconJobMarket.org, you can use AIMS at no charge, regardless of whether you use EJM to collect applications.
Establishing a user account is free. Posting a minimal (non-public) advertisement (visible only to job candidates who are logged in) is also free and allows full use of AIMS. For public job-postings, featured advertisements, and complete data services, recruiters are asked to pay a fee for each advertisement that they post on the site. These are fees for services (not donations) and are set just high enough to cover EJM's basic operating costs. Recruiters can also specify an application fee that candidates are asked to pay, so that candidates share in providing the financial support needed to maintain and further develop the EconJobMarket service. Otherwise, candidates use EJM's services for free. The system is also free for references. See the System Overview Page for information on current fees.
Basic instructions for recruiters (recruitment directors):
1. Establish an account on the EconJobMarket.org system. When registering, you will give basic information about your organization and your contact information.
2. After you register, EJM's officers will verify your organization's authenticity. Once your organization is authenticated, you will be able to log onto the system to create advertisements and receive applications.
3. If you plan to use the EconJobMarket.org system to receive application materials from candidates, references, or both, then you should be sure to specify this in any advertisements that you place elsewhere. In fact, if you set up the job posting in EJM first, you can copy the EJM "applink" and past it in the advertisements that you post on other sites. Candidates can click on the applink to go directly to your application form.
4. Create advertisements for each of your distinct types of open positions (for example, one for a junior search, another for an associate-professor search, etc.). To create an advertisement, simply select this link on the EJM web site when you are logged on. When you create an advertisement, you must enter information about the position and also specify information that you require from applicants. You have flexibility to specify whether, for example, letters of recommendation, papers, and other materials are required. For your convenience, several templates are provided by the system. If you wish to collect applications separately from the EJM system, you can still use EconJobMarket to collect recommendation letters (highly encouraged, because it reduces the time that references and their staff proxies have to spend uploading letters). In this case, specify in your advertisement that no documents are required from candidates. There is also an option for you to post an advertisement on EJM but not collect any application materials.
5. Once candidates have begun submitting applications, you will be able to download (in various formats) the candidates' packets including recommendation letters. You can also establish an automatic data feed to your own or any third-party application-review software installed locally, using EJM's "back-end interface" (https://backend.econjobmarket.org/). Data feeds to the commercial partners noted above are already established.
6. Using the AIMS (my.econjobmarket.org) interface (log in using your EJM username and password), arrange the interview slots for any scholarly meetings or other venues where you plan to interview candidates. You can specify different types of slots for different fields of specialization and for multiple interview teams. Select which candidates to interview and AIMS will automatically email the candidates and arrange your schedule of interviews.
For further information about how EJM works, see System Overview Page.
Featured Job Postings
- Research Assistant (m/f)
Deutsche Bundesbank (Personalmarketing)
Deadline: May 3, 2017
- Professor of Public Policy and Economics, Tenured
NYU Steinhardt (Faculty Affairs)
Deadline: Jul 31, 2017
- Open Rank Faculty Position
University of Maryland (Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics)
Deadline: Jun 15, 2017
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Economics
Cornell University (Cornell Institute for China Economic Research)
Deadline: Oct 1, 2017
- Professors and Associate Professors in Economics and Finance
Queen Mary University of London (School of Economics and Finance)
Deadline: Jun 17, 2017