The Dean of the Faculty of Economic Sciences at the University of Warsaw announces a competition for the position of assistant professor, under the “Excellence Initiative – Research University” (IDUB) Programme.
The “Excellence Initiative – Research University” is a programme of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MEiN), which gives the University of Warsaw opportunities for raising the quality of its academic research and education, thereby increasing the international prestige of the University.
The recruited individual for the position of assistant professor will carry out their responsibilities as part of Action I.3.9 “Human mobility and inequalities as seen through digital data sources”. The main objective of the activity is to create a research program using new types of data (satellite data, spatial data, geospatial data, data from social media and mobile phones, administrative data, etc.) in innovative research on determinants, and measurements of the effects of territorial mobility, social mobility, and economic inequality.
Research activities carried out as part of Action I.3.9 may relate to methods of obtaining or combining new types of data, harmonising data sets from different sources, or the innovative use of such data. In particular, it is possible to conduct research in the following areas:
· use of social media content and data from mobile phones to analyse mobility and inequality phenomena;
· measuring inequality, poverty, and other distributional phenomena using combined survey data, tax data, census data, and small area statistics methods;
· the use of innovative methods for combining administrative and survey data (e.g., capture-recapture) in order to estimate social processes with lower measurability;
· the use of satellite imagery and other spatial or geospatial data to study wealth, poverty, and inequality at national, regional, and local levels; measuring economic inequalities using survey data, administrative tax data, and national account data.
Job description and responsibilities
1. Carrying out research on the creation or harmonisation of new data sources in the field of mobility or inequality;
2. Creating and making available to other researchers a database containing new or harmonised data on mobility or inequality;
3. Preparation of scientific publications related to the objectives of the activity, and submission for publication in a journal belonging to Q1 (top 25%) of the most cited journals in the world, as indexed in Scopus
4. Preparation and submission of a grant application for national or international external financing to the University of Warsaw, which is devoted to research related to the objectives of Action I.3.9;
5. Developing international cooperation in the implementation of the objectives of the Action;
6. Participation in scientific conferences by presenting the results of research carried out under the Action;
7. Cooperation in the preparation of an international conference on migration and inequality at the University of Warsaw;
8. Participation in seminars at the University of Warsaw, which will popularise databases or research methods resulting from the implementation of the Action.
fulfilment of the conditions set out in the Act of July 20, 2018 – Law on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws 2023, item 742, as amended) and the Statute of the University of Warsaw (Resolution No. 443 of the Senate of the University of Warsaw of June 26, 2019, Monitor item 190.
holding a doctoral degree in the field of social sciences;
having scientific achievements documented by publications in reputable scientific journals (at least 2 works published in journals from the JCR list);
having experience in empirical research on mobility and inequality issues;
thorough knowledge of statistical and econometric methods used in mobility and inequality research;
experience in implementing research projects in social sciences;
fluency in written and spoken English;
ability to start work no later than September 2024.
experience in managing grants financed from domestic or foreign sources;
experience in using innovative data sources to study mobility and inequality
Documents required for the application:
· academic curriculum vitae with a list of publications in English;
· a cover letter (containing a description of the planned research project in line with the subject of the competition) in English;
· a copy of the PhD diploma,
· 2 PDF files with publications related to the subject of the competition;
· a signed declaration (scan) of consent to the processing of personal data, downloaded from here https://labfam.uw.edu.pl/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/RODO-ENG-26.05.docx
· a statement (scan) in which the candidate confirms with his signature that he has read and accepts the rules for conducting competitions specified in Ordinance No. 106 by the Rector of the University of Warsaw of 27 September 2019, on the definition of detailed rules and procedures for conducting a competition for the position of an academic teacher at the University of Warsaw (https://monitor.uw.edu.pl/Lists/Uchway/Uchwa%C5%82a.aspx?ID=5592)
A letter of recommendation from a person from outside the University of Warsaw (these references are confidential and should be sent directly to: email@example.com).
To apply, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. (See posting for details.)