Advertiser: Department of Economics, University of Melbourne
Field(s) of specialization:
Location of job:
Department of Economics, Faculty of Business and Economics, University of Melbourne, 111 Barry Street, Carlton, VICTORIA, 3010, Australia
Job start date:
Letters of reference required: 3
Application deadline: 31 Jan 2021
(no longer accepting applications)
Current search status: Reviewing applications
Posting end date: 31 Jan 2021
The Department of Economics is a vibrant, diverse and successful department and is part of Australia’s No. 1 University. The Department invites applications for the position of Griffin Chair in Economic History. This is a leadership role revitalising and leading its research and teaching in economic history. The Griffin Chair in Economic History will support the department’s objectives in research, teaching and engagement by pursuing research in the discipline, publishing in leading international journals, playing a leading role in teaching innovation and course and curriculum development, and contributing to external debate on the relevance of economic history to better understand and respond to current economic conditions and developments.
You will possess:
- A Ph.D. in economic history or a related disciplinary area.
- A distinguished international reputation and outstanding research record in economic history.
- The ability to provide high quality leadership in research, teaching, administration and engagement in economic history and economics in general.
- Demonstrated capacity to provide high quality mentoring and supervision of staff and graduate students.
- Demonstrated capacity to secure funds from external competitive grants.
- A record of high quality, successful teaching innovation and leadership in course and curriculum development.
- An ability to work effectively and lead within a large department.
- Experience with fostering online and alternative modes of teaching.
- A demonstrated record of effective engagement with the wider community.
- Leadership in and/or membership of relevant professional bodies, advisory/editorial boards and other relevant organisations
The Department of Economics at the University of Melbourne (UoM) is the leading economics department in Australia with strong undergraduate and postgraduate programs and an outstanding group of economists and econometricians. The Department is research active and performs teaching and research in the areas of economics, econometrics and actuarial studies. The Department actively contributes to the community and maintains strong ties to business and government sectors.
More information can be found at: https://fbe.unimelb.edu.au/economics
- Excellent resources to support collaboration within and outside the University
- Flexible family friendly policies – providing generous leave and working conditions
- Internationally competitive salaries
- Salary packaging scheme
- An opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment with substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at UoM
More details on staff benefits can be found at: https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits
For all enquiries please contact:
Professor David Harris
For further details about this role and position description, please visit
Click on 'Current opportunities' and type 0051077 in the 'Job Search' field.