About Compass Lexecon:
We are one of the world’s leading economic consulting firms. We strive to recruit and develop talented people to work together to produce meaningful economic analysis of exceptional quality, and to create a positive impact on our clients and society.
Our European Competition Practice provides expert economic advice on competition policy, economic and financial regulation, public policy and the assessment of damages in complex disputes. We are looking to hire economists to help us to provide advice to our clients on some of the most high-profile cases before the European Commission, the General Court and national competition authorities, regulators and courts.
We believe that working in diverse teams, where everybody’s views are considered and respected, helps us to deliver work of the highest standards of quality and integrity.
About the role:
Economists are instrumental to our goal of helping clients understand how competition works in their industry. As an Economist, you will make a significant contribution to understanding the issues that face the client, relating those issues to relevant economic theory, and supporting the analysis with solid and persuasive empirical evidence. Economists are expected to work independently, demonstrate sound judgement, and play a key role in all aspects of a case, including overseeing its day-to-day operation and managing the work of junior staff.
Economist positions are available to individuals with a Ph.D. in economics from a leading university or a Master’s degree and several years of work experience in competition economics.
• Interacting extensively with clients to gain insight into their industry
• Contributing to development of theoretical and empirical approach
• Utilising literature to support economic arguments
• Efficiently conducting empirical analysis using Excel and Stata
• Overseeing the day-to-day running of the project
• Drafting reports summarising analysis
• Delivering an accurate and high-quality work product
• Participating actively in client meetings and conference calls
• Extensive mentoring and supervising of junior staff
Benefits of pursuing a career with Compass Lexecon:
• Competitive salary and benefits
• A wide variety of interesting and challenging projects
• An international team with a broad range of backgrounds and experience
• A blend of professional and academic environments
• The opportunity to work with top law firms, corporations, government bodies and academics
• A very steep learning curve, coupled with a supportive and collaborative team
• Opportunities for training such as secondments, office rotations, internal seminars, and conferences
• The opportunity to take on a lot of responsibility and contribute from day one
Profile and Skills Sought:
• Successful candidates will have a Ph.D. in economics, ideally with a focus on industrial organisation or applied econometrics or Master’s/Bachelor’s in economics. Previous experience in competition economics (either from an economic consultancy, competition authority or regulator) is desirable.
• Highly analytical
• Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients
• Dedication to high quality and accurate work
• Strong attention to detail
• Independent worker and team player
• Good project and people management skills
• Strong Stata and Excel skills desirable
Berlin – Germany, Dusseldorf – Germany, Paris – France, Madrid – Spain, London – United Kingdom, Brussels – Belgium, Tel-Aviv - Israel, Helsinki- Finland, Copenhagen - Denmark, Milan - Italy.