The research department of Norges Bank, the Central Bank of Norway has an opening for a research economist. Candidates should have or be within 9 months of obtaining a PhD with research specialization in macroeconomics, labor economics, monetary economics, banking/financial intermediation or big data. Experience as a researcher, for example from working in a central bank, is an advantage but not necessary. The working language in the research department is English.
The research department works on issues of relevance for monetary policy, financial stability and financial markets. Research economists spend half their time conducting high-quality research that addresses issues of interest to a central bank aimed at ultimately being published in international peer-reviewed academic journals. In the other half they provide research-based analyses to policy departments on topical issues related to monetary policy, financial stability, macroprudential policy and financial markets. Research economists disseminate relevant internal and external research to the Bank’s staff and liaison with academic and research institutions. The research department consists of 12 full time research economists as well as research assistants who support the economists.
· Conduct original research for publication in high-quality refereed journals, and applied research and analyses for the Bank’s policy departments
· Present own and other policy relevant research effectively to policymakers and academics
· Develop and maintain relationships with central banks, universities and other relevant research institutions
· Have or be close to obtaining a PhD with a research specialization in macroeconomics, labor economics, monetary economics, banking/financial intermediation or big data.
· Working experience as a researcher is an advantage but not necessary
· A documented potential to publish in good or top economics/finance journals
· A sincere interest in contributing to the research group and Norges Bank as a whole
· Excellent communication and presentation skills
Please note that the position is subject to a clean police certificate and a good credit record.
The bank offers an excellent research infrastructure (IT resources, data access, research assistance) and encourages participation in international conferences/workshops and collaboration with external researchers with a generous travel budget. Salary is competitive, working terms are flexible.
<a name="page2"></a>We strongly encourage female candidates to apply. Funds to cover relocation expenses are provided. Support to learn Norwegian is offered to foreign staff, if desired.
Details are provided at: www.norges-bank.no. Deadline for application: midnight UTC, Wednesday August 31, 2022. First round interviews will take place between August 15 and August 30 by Zoom. Fly-outs will be scheduled in September. Candidates applying should expect a decision in the first half of October.